Serve this dish as a creative salad course or as an appetizer. If serving as appetizers, top beet rounds and vegan cheese with a few arugula leaves and drizzle with dressing. This recipe makes more vegan cheese than you’ll use. The remainder can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. If your beet rounds are especially large, add another teaspoon of vegan cheese per round.
- 2 large red or yellow beets, scrubbed
For the Raw Vegan Cheese:
- 1½ cups raw cashews, soaked for at least 2 hours and up to 12 hours
- 1 tablespoon raw apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons raw coconut oil, melted over low heat
- ¾ cup water
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the Herb Dressing:
- ¼ cup raw apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup fresh herbs (parsley, basil, thyme), chopped
- 1 small shallot, halved
- ¾ cup olive oil
- pinch each sea salt and ground black pepper
- 4 ounces arugula
- Using a mandolin, slice unpeeled beets on the thinnest setting. Trim off edges with a paring knife. (Note: This method is less messy than peeling beets prior to slicing.)
- Prepare cheese: Drain soaked nuts. In a food processor or high-speed blender, combine cashews, 1 tablespoon vinegar, lemon juice, melted coconut oil, water and garlic; process until smooth. Stir in chives, parsley and salt. Refrigerate cheese until ready to assemble recipe. Makes 1¾ cups vegan cheese.
- Make dressing: In a food processor or blender, combine ¼ cup vinegar, herbs and shallot; blend until pureed. Continue to blend while adding oil in a thin, steady stream. Season with salt and pepper. Makes 1 cup of dressing.
- To assemble carpaccio: Spoon 1 to 2 teaspoons of the vegan cheese in the center of half of the beet slices. Top with another beet slice. Place four beet sandwiches on a plate. Place a small pile of arugula on each plate and drizzle generously with herb dressing.
PER SERVING (4 beet rounds, about ½ cup arugula and 3 tablespoons dressing): 331 cal, 32g fat (22g mono, 4g poly, 7g sat), 0mg chol, 160mg sodium, 7g carb (2g fiber, 3g sugars), 3g protein
Recipe and photo thanks to Delicious Living.