Bowls are a great way to pack a lot of flavor and nutrition into one delicious meal. This spicy quinoa bowl gets its heat from gochujang, a fermented red chili paste, and kimchi.
For the Citrus-Soy Dressing
- ¼ cup fresh orange juice
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce or tamari
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
For the Quinoa Bowl
- 1 (14-ounce) package extra-firm tofu, well-drained and cut into ½-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons gochujang
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 cloves garlic
- 8 ounces thickly sliced baby bella mushrooms
- 8 cups thinly sliced napa cabbage (1 medium)
- 4 cups sliced zucchini
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 cups hot, cooked quinoa
- 1 large, ripe avocado, sliced
- ¾ cup spicy kimchi
- 4 teaspoons black or white sesame seeds
- To prepare dressing, place all dressing ingredients in a jar with lid; close lid, and shake vigorously until blended. Refrigerate until needed.
- In a bowl, carefully toss tofu cubes with the gochujang; refrigerate for at least 30 minutes (can be left overnight). While tofu is marinating, prepare vegetables.
- Preheat oven to 400°. Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil, and rub generously with 2 tablespoons oil to prevent tofu from sticking. Spread tofu in a single layer on baking sheet. Bake tofu in lower third of oven for 10 minutes. Remove, and carefully turn tofu pieces over with a thin spatula. Bake another 10 minutes, remove, and turn again. Bake another 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat 1 tablespoon oil. Add garlic and mushrooms; sauté 5–6 minutes or until mushrooms are tender and liquid has cooked off. Remove mushrooms to a plate, and set aside. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to same skillet, and reduce heat to medium. Add cabbage and sauté, stirring often, for 8 minutes. Add sliced zucchini and salt to skillet with cabbage. Continue to sauté until cabbage begins to brown and zucchini is tender but still bright green, about 8 minutes.
- To serve, divide hot quinoa among bowls. Top with piles of cabbage and zucchini mixture, mushrooms, baked tofu, avocado, and kimchi. Drizzle 2 tablespoons Citrus Soy Dressing over each serving and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
PER SERVING (1½ cups): 474 cal, 17g fat (9g mono, 6g poly, 2g sat), 0mg chol, 573mg sodium, 56g carb (8g fiber, 8g sugars), 18g protein
Recipe and photo thanks to Delicious Living.