This spicy kale almond pesto is as easy as it is delicious. When paired with creamy white beans, kale pesto elevates a simple pasta dish into a weeknight sample that is worthy of weekend status. It earns serious bonus points for being able to be made ahead of time! Double, or even triple, your pesto batch and portion into glass jars for freezing. Simpy thaw when ready to use.
- 1 bunch kale (washed and drained)
- 4 ounces dried penne pasta
- 1/2 cup whole almonds, toasted
- 1 1/2 tablespoons garlic(about 5 large cloves)
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Juice of two lemons(divided)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 19-ounce can white (cannellini) beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Freshly ground black pepper
Cut lower stems from kale. Steam kale over 2 quarts boiling water for 5–7 minutes, until tender. Transfer to a colander to drain. Do not discard water. Add pasta to water on stove and return to a boil, stirring. When pasta is al dente, drain.
- Meanwhile, place almonds in a food processor and process until well chopped. Add garlic, cheese, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and juice of one lemon. Carefully squeeze water from steamed kale and remove leaves from stems; discard stems. Pat leaves dry with paper towels and chop roughly. Pat dry again and add to food processor. Process until all ingredients are finely minced. With motor running, add 2 tablespoons olive oil in a stream until a thick pesto is formed.
- In a medium bowl, toss beans with juice of one lemon and 1/8 teaspoon salt.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 teaspoon olive oil over medium heat. Add crushed red pepper flakes and fry for about 1 minute. Add kale-almond pesto and cook, stirring, for about 30 seconds. If pesto seems too thick, thin with a small amount of water. Add pasta and beans and toss gently until thoroughly heated. Sprinkle with black pepper and serve immediately.
PER SERVING: 465 cal, 39% fat cal, 21g fat, 3g sat fat, 19mg chol, 19g protein, 56g carb, 10g fiber, 640mg sodium
Recipe and photo thanks to Delicious Living.