Rather than traditional tomato sauce, this lasagna relies on layers of green veggies and a creamy vegan ricotta for fresh, deep flavor. If assembled ahead of time, remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before cooking.
For Cashew-Basil Ricotta
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1½ cups raw cashews, soaked in water overnight and drained
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup packed fresh basil leaves (one 2/3-ounce package)
- 1 (14-ounce) package firm tofu, drained
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 pound grated vegan mozzarella cheese
- 1 pound asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 cups small broccoli florets
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 10 cremini or button mushrooms (about 9 ounces), thinly sliced
- 2 large roasted and peeled red bell peppers, cut into ½-inch slices
- 2 (10-ounce) boxes frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced (white and green parts)
- 1½ teaspoons sea salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¾ pound no-boil lasagna noodles
To make ricotta: Process garlic in a food processor until minced. Add remaining ricotta ingredients except mozzarella and process until smooth, scraping down sides as needed. Remove to a bowl. Set aside ½ cup mozzarella and stir remainder into ricotta. Set aside.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add asparagus and broccoli. Cook until just tender, 3–4 minutes. Drain in a colander and quickly refresh under cold water; spread on a towel to dry. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large, deep pot over medium heat. Add garlic, stirring to prevent sticking. As soon as garlic is fragrant (1 minute), add mushrooms and stir to coat; sauté until browned and most liquid has evaporated, about 12 minutes. Add sliced red bell pepper and stir for about 1 minute. Remove from heat. Squeeze spinach in a colander; mix into mushroom mixture, along with asparagus, broccoli, scallions, salt, pepper, and cayenne. Preheat oven to 375˚. Spread remaining oil in a deep 9×13-inch baking dish. Cover pan bottom with noodles, overlapping slightly. Spread with one-third of spinach mixture, cover with one-third of ricotta, and cover with another layer of noodles. Repeat layers, pressing down slightly. Cover final noodle layer with remaining ricotta and spinach mixture. Sprinkle with reserved mozzarella. Cover tightly with foil and bake for about 45 minutes. Uncover, increase heat to 400˚, and cook 8–10 minutes to brown slightly. Let sit at least 5 minutes before serving.
PER SERVING: 33 cal, 14g fat (8g mono, 3g poly, 2g sat), 0mg chol, 18g protein, 55g carb, 7g fiber, 963mg sodium
Recipe and photo thanks to Delicious Living.