A warm and comforting family meal! Make these vegan sloppy Joes even more kid-friendly by adjusting the spices to your family’s preference. They can also be made ahead of time and work great as leftovers.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 2 cups butternut squash, peeled and diced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 cup dry brown or green lentils
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can reduced-sodium vegetable stock
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- Whole-grain rolls or salad greens (for serving)
- Hot sauce, pickled cabbage, cucumbers and/or relish (for garnish)
In a large skillet over medium heat, warm the oil. Add onion, squash, and carrot. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables start to soften, about 5 minutes.
Add lentils, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, salt, and molasses. Stir. Add stock and tomatoes and bring to a simmer. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook for 30 minutes.
Remove lid and continue to cook for an additional 20-25 minutes or until lentils are tender and most of the liquid is absorbed. Stir in apple cider vinegar and serve on rolls or over salad greens. If desired, garnish sandwiches with pickled cabbage, cucumbers, hot sauce, or relish.
PER SERVING (1 cup lentil mixture without bun): 195 cal, 3g fat (2g mono, 1g poly, 0g sat), 0mg chol, 280mg sodium, 35g carb (7g fiber, 7g sugars), 9g protein
Recipe and photo thanks to Delicious Living.