Savory, delicious and great for sharing, these chipotle chicken kabobs are great for grilling!
-2½ tablespoons ground cumin
-1 tablespoon chili powder
-2 teaspoons coarse salt, divided
-3 cloves garlic (minced)
-1 white onion (halved and sliced)
-3 cups neutral oil (avocado, grapeseed or cold-pressed canola)
-2½ cups white vinegar
-2 limes (halved)
-1 orange (halved)
-1 lemon (halved)
-3 pounds boneless chicken thighs (fat trimmed)
-2 yellow bell peppers (cut into 1-inch pieces)
-1 tablespoon garlic powder
-2 tablespoons paprika
-2 teaspoons chipotle powder
-4 scallions (thinly sliced)
-Zest of 3 limes
- Make the marinade. In a large bowl, combine cumin, chili powder, 1 teaspoon salt, garlic, onion, oil and vinegar. Squeeze juice from limes, orange and lemon. Add juices and fruit peels to the marinade. Place chicken thighs in bowl, and let sit for 20–30 minutes, covered with plastic wrap.
- Preheat grill to medium. While grill is heating, remove chicken from refrigerator and let come to room temperature. Remove chicken from marinade, allowing excess oil to drip off. Cut chicken into 1- to 1½-inch pieces; place in a bowl with bell pepper pieces.
- To make spice rub, combine garlic powder, paprika, chipotle powder and remaining 1 teaspoon salt in a small bowl. Sprinkle over chicken and peppers. Toss.
- Thread chicken and bell pepper pieces onto skewers, alternating two pieces of chicken and one piece of bell pepper.
- Grill skewers for 10–12 minutes, flipping halfway, until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165° when tested with a thermometer. Place skewers on a tray and garnish with scallions and lime zest.
Recipe and photo thanks to Delicious Living.