These tacos are the perfect easy dinner option for vegans wanting to spice up their meal. The cilantro-lime slaw adds a zesty note on top of the savory taco.
FOR THE TACOS
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil, divided
- ¾ cup diced yellow onion
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic, divided
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon plus ⅛ teaspoon dried oregano, divided
- 1 acorn squash or butternut squash (peeled, seeded and diced -about 4 cups)
- 1 cup vegetable broth or water
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 8 ounces quartered or sliced baby portobello or button mushrooms
- 24 small (5-inch) white corn tortillas
- Raw pepitas and avocado slices for garnish (optional)
FOR THE SLAW
- ½ head green cabbage (very finely shredded)
- 1 cup grated carrot
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- ½ teaspoon coriander seeds
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- Pinch of salt
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat 1 tablespoon oil. Add onion and salt. Cook onion until translucent; then add 1½ teaspoons garlic, cumin, and chili powder and 1 teaspoon oregano; cook 1 minute.
- When spices become fragrant, add diced acorn squash, broth and tomato paste. Stir, cover and cook for 10 minutes or until squash becomes tender. Taste, and add pinch each of salt and pepper, if desired. Remove from heat, and transfer squash mixture to a bowl. Using a potato masher, mash mixture until mostly smooth.
- Wipe out skillet with a paper towel and return to medium-high heat. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil. When oil is hot, add mushrooms and remaining ⅛ teaspoon oregano to pan. Reduce heat to medium, and cook mushrooms without stirring until browned, about 5 minutes. Shake pan, and add remaining 1½ teaspoons minced garlic; cook 1 minute more. Remove from heat, and transfer to a bowl; keep warm.
- Wipe out skillet again, and place over medium-high heat. Heat corn tortillas, one at a time, in dry skillet, turning once. Wrap tortillas in a towel to keep warm.
- To prepare slaw, combine shredded cabbage, carrot, cilantro and coriander seeds in a medium bowl. In a separate bowl, combine lime juice, oil and salt; pour over slaw mixture, and toss until well combined.
- To assemble tacos, fill tortillas with squash mixture and top with mushrooms, slaw, pepitas, and avocado slices.
PER SERVING (3 tacos): 332 cal, 10g fat (7g mono, 2g poly, 1g sat), 0mg chol, 104mg sodium, 57g carb (10g fiber, 7g sugars), 8g protein
Recipe and photo thanks to Delicious Living.