You won’t be able to take your eyes off this beautiful dish! This 5-spice shrimp with mango-carrot slaw is not only a feast for the eyes, it’s packed with nutrients!
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon coconut aminos or tamari
- 2 teaspoons pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 large clove garlic, grated or minced
- ½ teaspoon Chinese 5-spice powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ⅓ cup avocado oil or extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
Slaw + Shrimp:
- 2 mangoes (cut into chunks)
- 6 radishes (thinly sliced)
- 3 carrots (grated or peeled into ribbons)
- ½ small red cabbage (finely shredded)
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro or Thai basil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- ½ teaspoon Chinese 5-Spice powder
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ to ¾-pound large shrimp (peeled & deveined, with tails left on)
- 4 green onions, for garnish (thinly sliced)
- pumpkin seeds, for garnish
- Make the dressing: combine and vigorously whisk the first seven ingredients (vinegar through salt). While whisking, slowly drizzle in oils until combined. Set aside.
- In a bowl, toss together mangoes, radish, carrots, cabbage, and fresh herbs. Drizzle with dressing, toss and allow vegetables to marinate for 20 minutes. Taste, and adjust seasoning.
- In a medium bowl, whisk 2 tablespoons olive oil, garlic, Chinese 5-spice powder, sesame seeds, ¼ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Add shrimp, and toss to coat.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, sauté shrimp about 5 minutes or until cooked through. Divide slaw among serving plates, top with shrimp, and garnish with green onions and pumpkin seeds.
PER SERVING: 442 cal, 27g fat (16g mono, 7g poly, 4g sat), 71mg chol, 759mg sodium, 42g carb (7g fiber, 31g sugars), 12g protein
Recipe and photo thanks to Delicious Living.